Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Light the Match, Start the Fire

Love is dead.

For years, the media has told humanity that everyone has a soul mate, and everyone will have a happily ever after. It’s a fairy tale that many still believe today, when the evidence around them says differently. There’s more pain and suffering today than before, divorce rates are on the rise, and children are being taught to glorify violence and sex rather than upstanding morals that better society. It’s why the people at my school are so hopeless; they’ve been told to live in the moment, to fulfill their desires and not care about anyone else. Only those who support that mold are welcomed in the society; for those that aren’t, they’re cast out like a leper.

They make fun of people who don’t have a ‘significant other’, calling them names and bullying them no matter what they do. They talk behind other’s backs, not giving a damn if it hurts that person’s feelings. And then, when a person screws up, this elitist society humiliates them in front of everyone. You’re the jester, the fool, the laughing stock of the kingdom.

A few weeks ago, I started talking to a girl named Lois. Very pretty and sometimes shy, but dating a person who doesn’t deserve her. He’s the slime of the earth, a putrescent disease that comes from the elitist society. When I tried to warn her about him, how he was a bad influence, she refuted me. She took the private conversations we had with each other and showed them to the world. She broke the trust I had put in her and used it to hurt me.

Well, Lois, now you’re about to know what that feels like.

Remember how we were supposed to fill out those questionnaires in our homerooms today? I know, I didn’t like it either since it was our first day back. During that time, people would give me a look that made me feel ashamed of myself – that’s your fault. I couldn’t concentrate at all times, and ended up dropping my pencil beneath one of the cabinets. I thought it was bad luck. I blamed you.

But I know now that dropping that pencil was good luck, that it was fated to happen. I reached under that cabinet and found not only my pencil, but a small, leather-bound journal.

Your journal.

All of your private thoughts in the palm of my hands.

I know it’s yours, Lois, because it has your name on the inside, right next to the drawing of a black dog.

I don’t know how it got there, or why I of all people should find it. But I’m going to make you pay for what you did to me, Lois. I’m not only going to let everyone at our school know your secrets, I’m going to make sure the entire world knows. Then you can tell me you’re sorry for what you did to me; then you can tell me that you didn’t mean to hurt my feelings.

It’s time to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment